Monday, February 6, 2023

Assignment: Holga

 This assignment was to take photographs using a Holga 120 Camera and create an enlargement from these. I shot two rolls of film for the assignment because I had some trouble getting my exposure times correct. My enlargement is a picture that I took of Sophia working in her studio, and I went with this picture because it had the best exposure of any of my shots (although it was still underexposed). Because the film was underexposed it made developing my enlargement very tricky in terms of creating decent contrast. To help with this I did a lot of dodging and burning on the final print. 

I really like the vignette that the Holga camera creates, so to emphasis it I actually burned the vignette onto the enlargement more-so than it was naturally present. I covered where the film was projecting on the photo paper with a roughly cut piece of cardboard to achieve the grungy black borders, which kind of reminded me of the space between each shot on a roll of film.